For over 100 years this great congregation has been a spiritual leader for the community of Gary, Indiana. As one of the oldest churches in Gary, we are proud to serve our community. A small group of spirit filled people lead by Mrs. Lou Jean Preston and Mrs. B.K. Jackson, believed in the promises of God and on July 4, 1909 decided to create a haven of hope for others who shared the same beliefs. They met from house to house and determined to have an A.M.E. Church in Gary, IN, the first church was a portable school house located between Twelfth and Thirteenth Ave. on Massachusetts Street.
In 2005, land was acquired for a new building project that was proposed in 1991 by Mr. Mamon Powers, Sr. in Sept. 2005 a “Ground Breaking Ceremony” was held to begin construction of the new church. The foundation was laid on Nov. 7, 2005 and the new First African Methodist Episcopal Church officially opened 6-24-2007.
On October 13, 2014 God called Rev. Dr. Virgil Woods to First Church, he’s a spiritual servant, a man of vision, integrity and enthusiasm to be pastor of First A.M.E. Church.